Thursday, August 04, 2005

Security blanket of smog

This upcoming move is scaring the crap out of me. I hate living in DC. Hate. It. But I know where things are. I know people here, and even like some of them. Kevin proposed to me in this (tiny and overpriced) apartment. We (usually) get our mail without a problem. We have a bank, and magazine subscriptions, and a semi-traditional outing to the Sunday flea market, and now everything has to be changed. It's a lot of upheaval, and for some reason, this is seeming much scarier than any of the other cross-country moves I've made. Maybe it's because we have such high hopes for Madison (not without good reason--Em's there, I already have a job, Kevin will probably be doing drywall which is a hell of a lot more dependable and stable than working for tips), or maybe it's because I'm getting older and change is becoming less and less appealing to me. Still, I need to keep reminding myself that the stability we'll get in Madison is a million times better than any superficial stability we have here.

Plus I get to be on the roller derby cheerleading squad--The Anarchettes--in Madison. Such an opportunity has not presented itself in DC. So, yes, the move is, by any standard, a good thing, but that doesn't mean I won't be an emotional train wreck for the next week and a half.

No comments: