Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Gales of November, or October, or whatever

So I've been in The Big Regional Hub for the past three days, doing my chemo certification class and a little bit of following the IV team this morning. I thought I would be doing more of a training, with practice and everything, with them, but when the lady (who had already yelled at me for disparities in our practice--for the record, according to the manufacturer of the device in question, she's wrong) said "You know you're not going to be starting any IVs, right?", I just nodded. Instead I watched, and tried not to get in the way, and unwittingly followed them to the Neuro ICU, which just happens to look damn near identical to the ICU in Boston Medical Center, into the same room per that layout that I spent way too much sad time in, and tried not to hyperventilate. I also got told that we in Ashland are doing most things all wrong, as is becoming the custom for my training up here. I was happy to leave at noon. But at least I got my chemo certification, and three nights at the Sheraton, out of it.

The huge storm showed up sometime Monday night, and I have to say, I really love storms. I especially love storms on Lake Superior. Evidently parts of the lake, nowhere near us, had waves over 25 feet. Awesome. I would pay a lot of money to be able to watch something like this
all day long. I wouldn't want to be out in a canoe on it or anything, but on land at a barely-safe distance? Hell yeah. I've always been in love with the lake, ever since I first saw it as a kid, and a big part of that is due to its potential for this level of scary amazingness. A lot of people have no clue what Superior's really like. Here it is.

Photo from SymonSez blog (googling "Lake Superior waves")

No comments: